Terms and Conditions
Date posted: May 14, 2013
nakedbus.com Terms and Conditions
Nakedbus NZ Limited (“we”, “us”, “our” or “nakedbus.com”) have tried to make using the nakedbus.com website as easy as possible, but there are some things you need to know. All bookings made through nakedbus.com are subject to the following terms and conditions (“Terms and Conditions”). By making a booking through nakedbus.com, you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. If you do not agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions, you should not make any bookings through nakedbus.com:
1.1 All nakedbus.com bookings are non-refundable, unless you are entitled to a refund under law.
1.2 Payment is required at the time of booking; no reservations can be made without an acceptable form of payment.
1.3 Passengers will not be accepted onto the service without a valid booking reference. You are required to produce the booking reference number when boarding or boarding will be denied. By purchasing a ticket, you agree that by not producing a valid booking reference, you will not be allowed to board the service and will not be entitled to a refund of this ticket (unless required by law). It is the passenger’s responsibility to approach the driver with their reference number to be checked prior to departure. Please note: you will also need to produce your booking reference to board connecting services as the driver will need it to confirm you are travelling on the right bus.
1.4 You are solely responsible for checking that all details of your booking are correct. If you have made an error with your booking (“Incorrect Booking”) you can make an entirely new booking (“Correct Booking”) and receive a refund of the price of the ticket for the Incorrect Booking (but no booking, travel protection (for unforeseen events) or sms fees) provided that you contact us, either by phone during office hours or via our contact us form, within 2 hours of making the Incorrect Booking. You will need to advise us of both booking numbers (both the Incorrect Booking and Correct Booking). Alternatively, should you have made an Incorrect Booking and wish to change the Incorrect Booking (without making a new booking) you may do so if you have more than 24 hours before the time of departure on the Incorrect Booking. This can be done using the “change booking” function on our website. Please note, by using this function, you will not be entitled to any refund (unless required under law) as the Incorrect Booking will be replaced by the Correct Booking that you have made. You will be required to pay any costs outlined in 2.1 of these Terms and Conditions. (see table of fee here)
1.5 Nakedbus.com does not offer insurance of any nature or in any circumstance, customers should arrange their own insurance if they need this protection. To read more on nakedbus.com’s travel protection ( for unforeseen events), click here.
1.6 Nakedbus.com is a low cost, no frills service. As such we aim to provide a safe, reliable and comfortable service. We maintain our low cost by having a simple system. Therefore we are not able to provide extra or different services to those advertised in this website and we cannot give special instructions to drivers as this complicates our operation and increases our costs. For example, we do not facilitate different pickups or drop offs, allow you to reserve seats, carry unaccompanied baggage or provide special supervision of unaccompanied minors.
1.7 All fares are shown in New Zealand Dollars (NZD) and are inclusive of GST and are subject to change without notice.
1.8 The availability of $1 and free tickets is strictly limited. $1 and free tickets are only available on bus services (excluding buses servicing airports, trains, ferries, activities and day tours). $1 and free tickets are only available on confirmed and released services available as per our website at the time of your viewing or booking.
2. Changing a booking
2.1. Passengers can change their nakedbus.com booking themselves in the “change booking” function. This must be done more than 24 hours before departure of the original journey. There is a fee for changing a booking plus any increase in cost. If the new ticket price is cheaper than the old ticket price there is no refund of the difference in price. Bookings can only be changed to any services that are available on the website at the time the change is made. We will not be responsible for any tickets that are cancelled or seats that are unavailable at the time of your amendment of your booking.
2.3. Passengers cannot change two or more trips to be combined for a more expensive trip.
2.4. You cannot “split” a booking. If you change bookings to fewer passengers than on the original booking, you will forfeit the other tickets. For example if you change from two passengers to one passenger, you will forfeit one seat.
3.1. Refunds are not given if a passenger fails to board a nakedbus.com journey (unless required by law). IF YOU ARE NOT AT THE BUS STOP AND VISIBLE TO THE DRIVER OR DO NOT BOARD THE BUS AT THE TIME STATED ON YOUR TICKET YOU WILL NOT BE CARRIED AND THERE WILL BE NO REFUND (UNLESS REQUIRED BY LAW). SITTING IN A CAR DOES NOT COUNT AS BEING AT THE BUS STOP. THE DRIVER WILL NOT WAIT FOR PASSENGERS WHO ARE NOT IMMEDIATELY VISIBLE AT THE BUS STOP ON TIME AND READY TO BOARD. THE DRIVER IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LOOKING FOR PASSENGERS WHO ARE NOT VISIBLE AND IT IS THEIR DUTY TO DEPART ON TIME AS PER THE SCHEDULE – NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.
4. Rest Stops
4.1. Passengers who leave the bus at stops and rest breaks are responsible for re-boarding the bus at the scheduled departure time. The bus will not wait for passengers who are missing or late. No refunds will be given (unless required by law) in the event that passengers do not board the bus before the bus leaves each rest stop. Passengers will have to re-book (at their own expense) to continue their journey.
5.1. Nakedbus.com will do our best to transport you in accordance to our schedules in place on the date of your booking. We reserve the right to substitute the vehicle used for transport, or use an alternative operator, in order to achieve this.
5.2. We reserve the right to change our timetables by up to 60 minutes without notice. We may also be required to change our schedule for reasons beyond our control and in these circumstances our timetables cannot be guaranteed and therefore does not form part of your contract of carriage with nakedbus.com
5.3. Timetables may be changed for operational reasons and nakedbus.com reserves the right to change the scheduled time of your departure. We will attempt to notify you by the means that you have provided us at the time of booking. We advise you to check your email and cell phone prior to travelling to ensure there have been no changes. It is a condition of travel that you provide us with your contact details and we will not be held responsible for any consequential effects from changes to your booking, should you not receive notification of the change to the scheduled time of your departure.
6. Airport Service and ongoing travel arrangements
6.1. For all airport services, we require that you allow at least 2 hours between your arrival at the airport on our services and the required time of check-in with the airline.
6.2. Except as required by law, nakedbus.com is not liable for costs of further travel that may be missed as a result of our delay. Should we fail to provide the service for reasons that are within our control we will refund your nakedbus.com ticket price should circumstances merit this refund, or as otherwise required by law, or provide appropriate alternative compensation at our sole discretion. Except as required by law, we are not responsible for any incidental costs whatsoever and howsoever arising.
7. Road closures or factors outside our control
7.1. Should road closures or weather conditions, or any other events outside our control not allow nakedbus.com to complete its journey, nakedbus.com will not be responsible for the costs of accommodation, meals and incidentals. nakedbus.com will not be liable or responsible for onward journeys or connections under these conditions.
7.2. Should road closures, weather conditions, traffic, breakdowns or any other events outside our control cause a delay to the service, nakedbus.com will not provide refunds (except as required by law).
7.3. To the maximum extent permitted by law, nakedbus.com will not be liable for any injury, damage, loss, delay, additional expenses or inconvenience caused directly or indirectly by any events which are beyond our control.
8. Terms of carriage
8.1. Nakedbus.com has the right to refuse carriage if the driver feels that your behaviour will harm yourself or others or otherwise cause a disturbance. No intoxicated passengers or passengers under the influence of a substance that has impaired their judgement will be carried. You may be refused carriage if you are carrying alcohol or any illegal substance or dangerous weapons onto the coach.
8.2. If a nakedbus.com driver feels that your conduct on board the bus is endangering yourself or others around you or is otherwise causing a disturbance, the driver has the right to stop at the next safe stop and require you to disembark the service.
8.3. For the reasons of safety, our bus drivers are not permitted to lift you on or off the bus but may provide you will minimal assistance where appropriate. If you do require assistance getting on and off the bus please ensure you have arranged for someone to help you at the point of departure and arrival.
9.1. All luggage carried must be clearly labelled with the customer’s name and a physical address within New Zealand, phone number and email address.
9.2. Each passenger is permitted to carry 1 piece of luggage weighing no more than 20kg (to be stored under the bus), and 1 piece of hand luggage to be stored in the over head locker or under the seat.
9.3. Excess Luggage:
(a) Any baggage over the allowance will be carried only if there is room, and is at the driver’s discretion. Any excess and large items will be charged for separately.
(b) Please note that the driver makes the final decision regarding whether an item is beyond the luggage allowance. We cannot provide a ruling by email.
(c) nakedbus.com can carry larger items such as bicycles, surfboards, skis, and other excess baggage.
(d) All larger items are subject to space availability.
(e) There is a charge of between $10-$15 for each excess or large item (depending on the route). This is payable directly to the driver. This charge may be higher on ferry services.
(f) Bicycles should be boxed to avoid damage to other passengers’ luggage, however if you are unable to box the bicycle, our minimum requirement is that the bicycle pedals and chain are covered and the front wheel removed. We take absolutely no responsibility for damage to bicycles that are not boxed. We cannot carry tandem bicycles as these are too big for our luggage space.
9.4. You are required to pack your luggage correctly and safely and nakedbus.com will not be liable for any damage caused when luggage is not safely packed.
9.5 Nakedbus.com does not take any responsibility for any luggage left on the bus at any time, both stowed luggage and items left inside the vehicle – you should ensure that you have insurance to cover you for any loss or damage to your luggage. The return of any items is at the customer’s expense and it is the customer’s responsibility to submit a lost property form through the website so luggage can be identified and found.
9.6. If you are travelling with a baby, you are permitted 1 extra piece of luggage and a pushchair/pram.
9.7. Collapsible wheelchairs will be carried free of charge.
9.8. You should be able to load your own luggage. If you are travelling on a service that connects to another service, you are responsible for collecting your luggage from the first service and loading it onto the next service.
9.9. The following items are deemed unsuitable for luggage stowed in the luggage lockers and if you do include such items in your stowed luggage, you do this at your own risk and nakedbus.com will not be liable for any inconvenience costs, expenses, delay, loss or damage you suffer as a consequence of the items being damaged, delayed or lost:
- Passports and travel documents
- Cameras, video cameras etc.
- Computers or computer equipment
- Electrical or electronic devices
- Business documents or important documents
- Fragile, delicate or perishable goods
- Valuable items, such as money, jewellery or similar
- Any item that is not sufficiently packaged to withstand normal effects of carriage by road transport
9.10. The following items are prohibited from being carried on any nakedbus.com service:
- Liquids/creams not carried in watertight containers
- Flammable liquids
- Explosives (including fireworks)
- Poisonous/toxic substances
- Batteries (unless used in portable consumer electronic devices)
- Motorised scooters
- Any form of firearm/gun/weapon, whether in a case or not, whether working or not.
- Any other items deemed unsafe by the driver
10.1. ONLY INFANTS TRAVEL FREE.
One infant (under the age of 12 months) may travel free of charge if accompanied by a fare paying adult.
- Must be carried on the adult’s lap and
- Must not occupy a seat.
If you require the infant to occupy their own seat or to be carried in a car seat you will need to purchase a seperate ticket for them before travel.
10.2. UNACCOMPANIED MINORS POLICY
An unaccompanied minor is a child between 12 and 16 years old travelling without a parent or guardian.
- No child under 12 years old may travel alone.
- Unaccompanied minors are accepted on the understanding that they are delivered to the bus and met from the bus at the other end by a parent or guardian.
- The driver will not take responsibility for them, particularly at interchange points, intermediate stops or rest stops.
- An unaccompanied minor may not be responsible for anyone under the age of 12 years old.
- No passenger under the age 16 is permitted to travel alone on any night service.
Please note you are resonsible for making sure that your child:
- Is put on the bus by a parent/guardian.
- Knows where they are expected to change buses, as outlined on the journey confirmation.
- Wears their seat belt if one is fitted.
- Is aware they are responsible for ensuring they are back on the bus after a rest break before the time of departure.
- Is met from the bus by a parent or guardian. The parent of guardian MUST be at the stop 20 minutes for the scheduled arrival time in the bus arrives early. The bus driver will not wait if the parent or guardian is not there.
11.1. All of our vehicles are smoke free, smoking is not permitted on board any nakedbus.com service.
11.3. No hot or smelly food allowed on board nakedbus.com services.
11.4. No agent, contractor or representative of nakedbus.com has authority to alter, modify or waive any provision of these Terms and Conditions.
11.5. Nakedbus.com reserves the right at any time to modify these Terms and Conditions and to impose new or additional terms or conditions on your use of the nakedbus.com service. Such modifications and additional terms and conditions will be effective immediately and incorporated into these Terms and Conditions.
11.6. Wifi is available on the following routes; Paihia – Auckland, Auckland – Rotorua, Christchurch – Dunedin. Only buses fitted with the wifi modems will have wifi available, this means should the bus need to be replaced on the day wifi cannot be guaranteed.
To the maximum extent permitted by law:
(a) the total liability of nakedbus.com (and its contractors and agents) for any costs, losses, damages or expenses incurred by you or any other person is limited to the amount paid by you for the service in respect of which such liability arises; and
(b) nakedbus.com (and its contractors and agents) will not be liable for any indirect or consequential loss or damage.
If you hold yourself out as acquiring nakedbus.com services for the purposes of a business, the provisions of the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 will not apply.
CERTAIN LEGISLATION INCLUDING THE CONSUMER GUARANTEES ACT 1993 MAY LIMIT THE ABILITY TO EXCLUDE LIABILITY OR MAY IMPLY WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OR IMPOSE OBLIGATIONS WHICH CANNOT BE EXCLUDED, RESTRICTED OR MODIFIED EXCEPT TO A LIMITED EXTENT. THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS MUST IN ALL CASES BE READ SUBJECT TO THESE STATUTORY PROVISIONS. IF THESE STATUTORY PROVISIONS APPLY, TO THE EXTENT TO WHICH NAKEDBUS.COM IS ENTITLED TO DO SO, NAKEDBUS.COM LIMITS ITS LIABILITY IN RESPECT OF ANY CLAIM UNDER THOSE PROVISIONS TO (AT NAKEDBUS.COM’s OPTION) THE SUPPLY OF THE SERVICES AGAIN OR THE PAYMENT OF THE COST OF HAVING THE SERVICES SUPPLIED AGAIN.
13. Price beat guarantee13.1 You must have already made a nakedbus.com booking.13.2 At the time that you apply for a refund, you must notify nakedbus.com of the details of the lower comparable online fare. Details to include: a print screen of the comparable fare, proof that the journey was available for booking, the web address of the website where you found the fare, the date and time of when you found it. If you do not attach proof to your claim, your claim will be deemed invalid and declined.13.3 Bus only bookings – this price beat guarantee applies only to one way direct bus journeys offered by nakedbus.com. Ferries, trains, and activities are excluded from this promotion. See nakedsleep.com for the accommodation price beat guarantee.13.4 Ticket class – Based on any available online adult fare of any bus competitor. Excluding free fares and fares that cannot be purchased individually.13.5 Availability – the comparable fare must be available for booking at the time that you discovered the lower fare.13.6 Comparable time – the applicable journey provided by the competitor must be a direct journey departing and arriving at the same location, and must be scheduled to depart within 1 hour (earlier or later) of the applicable nakedbus.com journey.13.7 For the purposes of verifying the difference in price, all applicable surcharges, fees, taxes and additional amounts charged in relation to making a booking will not be included. Only the price of the ticket (excluding GST) will be included. The lower price that applies must be a price offered directly by a competitor on its website and excludes any deals offered by that competitor through a third party (including one-day-deal or volume purchasing websites).13.8 You may claim up to a maximum of 10 nakedbus.com fares for up to 10 passengers when making a claim under this price beat guarantee.13.9 Refunds will be given in the form of a refund to your credit card or nominated NZ bank account.13.10 A claim must be submitted no later than seven days after your nakedbus.com travel date.13.11 Nakedbus.com reserves the right to withdraw this price beat guarantee prior without notice.
Updated on 14.05.13