Duration: Full Day
Location: Bay of Islands
A visit to New Zealand is not complete without a journey to the top of the North Island. This full day off-road tour will take you to the top most point of New Zealand where you can marvel at the wonders of the stunning far North.
You will travel to Cape Reinga via the World famous 90 Mile Beach* on our purpose built, air-conditioned vehicle. Listen to fascinating commentary by our local drivers as you sit back and relax on our super comfortable reclining seats and enjoy the scenery.
Your exciting tour itinerary includes:
• A morning tea stop at a coastal cafe
• A visit to Gum Diggers Park. This is an authentic Kauri Gum digging site which is over 100 years old. The gum digging culture was started by the Maori people and buried Kauri forests between 40,000 to 150,000 years old have been discovered by the gum diggers.
• Cruising along and stopping at the spectacular 90 Mile Beach for a chance for you to wet your feet in the ocean and take in this amazing strip of never-ending paradise.
• Sand-boarding down massive sand dunes as we make a stop at Te Paki Stream. Feel the soft sand between your feet as we climb the sand dunes and then get amongst it as you sand-board down – a thrilling must-do adventure, if you dare!
• A stop at the iconic Cape Reinga Lighthouse. We finally reach the top-most point of New Zealand and take a leisurely walk up to the famous Cape Reinga Lighthouse. This is the time to get out your camera as this area rises steeply to 290m above sea level giving you stunning views of the mighty Pacific Ocean colliding with the Tasman Sea. Take a moment to take in the splendid isolation of the lighthouse and the Spirit Tree which are just some of the highlights of this extremely spiritual place.
• A stop at the fascinating Ancient Kauri Kingdom. Take a look at the 50,000 year old kauri stumps which have been fashioned into furniture and other woodcraft products. Have a browse in the workshop or make a quick stop to the gift store to pick up some awesome souvenirs.
• Before we make our way back to Paihia, we make a stop at the World famous Mangonui Fish Shop. Located over the water in historic Mangonui Village, this restaurant has a huge selection of fresh seafood and has the best fish n chips in New Zealand.
*Tides will govern whether this leg is before or after Cape Reinga
Fare includes morning tea and lunch
Fish and chips (and other food) are an optional extra cost at the Mangonui Fish Shop stop.
Please note that this is a return day trip from Paihia. The bus will take you back to Paihia at the end of the day.
You will need to bring
Flat walking shoes